Re: proposal: drop optical media from release criteria

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 14:56:07 -0400
"pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> BTW does doing network install mean I have to have a server setup to
> serve the installs?

I think you are mixing two different install methods.  There is a
netinstall image, that has a barebones Fedora that gets installed, and
allows the installation of all other software from the
Fedora repositories over the internet.  I use this because it is small,
and I just install the barebones and some essential packages like vim
and such.  I then boot into the newly installed Fedora and install what
I want from the repositories.  This used to be possible to do by
installing a small file in /boot, bfo.lkrn, and booting directly from
the image that was desired.
https://boot.fedoraproject.org/index
Unfortunately, as Charles said, it doesn't seem to work anymore.  It
was great.  Just put a stanza in grub.cfg, boot and select it, and
everything was downloaded from the internet.  No need for media at
all.  I suppose it just got to be too much trouble to maintain.  It
doesn't crash or anything, but I think the links are out of date.

menuentry 'Boot BFO' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        linux16 /bfo.lkrn
}

There is also a net install using a central server for many machines.
That is what Samuel was referring to.  All the machines are installed
using a script and a standard image, pulling everything off the local
network instead of the internet.  I don't think that is what you want
if you were installing from DVD.