Re: F29 Beta 1.5 problem

On 9/21/18 3:31 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Fri, 2018-09-21 at 08:49 -0400, pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Yesterday afternoon (9/20), I did a clean install of F29 Beta 1.5 onto
bare metal via DVD. The PC is a Lenovo M59P with an E8400 processor. The
ISO had been check-summed and passed. The PC booted fine and the media
test ran and passed. Anaconda ran perfectly and the install completed
normally. I did a restart, logged in, and allowed the lock to time out.

The fan on this system rarely runs at all, but in a few hours of sitting
idle the fan came on. I logged in and started the system monitor and
noted the both core0 and core1 were trading off running at 100%. The
trade cycle was running between 20 and 30 seconds. Sometimes they would
both run at 50% for a few seconds. When I looked at the processes,
gnome-software was the problem. I let the lock time out and left the
system overnight. This morning (9/21) the fan was running full speed and
both core0 and core1 was stuck hard at 100%. Again gnome-software was
the problem. I wanted to see if anything else would run so I started
Rhythm box. There were delays getting it going, but it did start and
worked (radio stream) with no apparent gaps in the audio. When I checked
the Resources and processes, apparently gnome-software was sharing with
Rhythm Box, but only what Rhythm Box needed. When I closed Rhythm Box,
gnome-software went back to taking 90+% of the core0 and core1 cycles.

I just did a restart and the system returned to normal (fan not
running). This time I'm not going to login. I'm just going to let it sit
and see what happens.

This is the same problem I found a few days ago with B 1.3 I wrote about
it then, but it was a day later, after a reminder that I wrote and
called out gnome-software.

mschwendt reported much the same in the thread "Neverending CPU usage
by gnome-software and packagekit". I wonder if software/pk is getting
stuck somehow, or doing something far more often than it should. Can
one of you post the output of 'sudo journalctl -b -u packagekit',
perhaps?

I decided to go ahead to try doing some testing. The runaway mode was still running when I started testing things. First I did the desktop browser tests and they passed. Then I did the desktop terminal tests and they also passed. Then I ran the desktop update graphical tests using the Software application. The application started fine and I could get to the Updates screen okay, but when I clicked the Refresh button, after a few seconds I got a gray colored pop up that said it could not continue and a long list of errors. The pop up does not support Copy so I didn't capture the details. I closed the Software application and tried to reopen it. The window came up but the usual graphics and text was not present. I restarted the PC to get out of the runaway mode and then I was able to run the update graphical test to completion and it passed.

It seems that this gnome-software runaway mode does more than just use up cycles. I am discontinuing testing. Please let me know if there is something more you want me to do / try.

	Have a Great! Day!

	Pat (tablepc)