Re: Fedora 24 beta (nearly) - major problem, help

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 8:29 PM, P.  Gueckel <pgueckel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 7:48 PM, P.  Gueckel
> <pgueckel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> reinstall grub?  I've had
> lately.
>>>
>>> That had already occurred to me. How do I select
>>> rescue mode, when I cannot even get the grub menu?
>>> the tried, from grub rescue, typing set
> root=(hd0,1)
>>> and on another line trying linux16 /boot/vmlinuz...
>>> but there is no way for me to determine the exact
> name
>>> of the kernel. Just as an experiment, I tried cat
>>> (hd0,1)/boot/grub2/grub.cfg but cat is not
> recognized,
>>> etc. I think access to all of the files on the
> drive
>>> are blocked, so even were I to deduce their names
>>> correctly, I would not be able to access them.
>>
>> It may be one of the TPM related patches for GRUB. I
> suggest filing a
>> bug, as during the entire pre-release testing of
> beta no one ran into
>> this and the more information that's collected about
> the problem the
>> better off Fedora is for final release. Include in
> the bug cc:
>> mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> More info on TPMs and measured boot.
>>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/LTZW5RA3VAYGS7GFIXNYUU3GJBNLPGPH
>>
>> After that, you can probably fix this by booting any
> media you have
>> and putting the new system in a chroot:
>> mount <devrootfs> /mnt
>> mount <devboot> /mnt/boot
>> mount -B /sys /mnt/sys
>> mount -B /dev /mnt/dev
>> mount -B /proc /mnt/proc
>> chroot /mnt
>> curl -Os
>>
> https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/grub2/2.02/0.25.fc23/x86_64/grub2-2.02-0.25.fc23.x86_64.rpm
>> & curl -Os
>>
> https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/grub2/2.02/0.25.fc23/x86_64/grub2-tools-2.02-0.25.fc23.x86_64.rpm
>> & curl -Os
>>
> https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/grub2/2.02/0.25.fc23/x86_64/grub2-efi-2.02-0.25.fc23.x86_64.rpm
>> & dnf downgrade *rpm
>> grub2-install /dev/sdX
>> exit
>> reboot
>>
>> Seems like it ought to be easier but that's what I'm
> thinking off off
>> hand.
>>

> Hey, thanks! If its that long and complicated, it has
> to work ;-) I've been at this literally since
> breakfast, so I think I'll call it a day for tonight,
> but I will give that a try and file the bug report,
> too. I'll include your email address in the CCs.
>
> Merci a lot. I sure hope it works! That old laptop is
> still as good as new, practically. I'd hate it to be
> bricked. I suppose I could go back to F23, if TPM
> hasn't gotten hardware switched somehow.

Have you had a chance to file a bug about this yet? It's a concerning
bug and we'd like to get more information about it sooner than later
to determine the scope. Thanks. Especially what make/model and
firmware revision it has from 'dmesg | grep DMI' would be useful to
know even in this email thread so we can estimate how big of a problem
this might be.

--
Chris Murphy