Re: Fedora 24 beta (nearly) - major problem, help

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 7:48 PM, P.  Gueckel <pgueckel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mike Chambers wrote:
>
>> Maybe you need to boot up into rescue mode and
> reinstall grub?  I've had
>> to do that a few times during fresh installs lately.
>
> That had already occurred to me. How do I select
> rescue mode, when I cannot even get the grub menu? I
> the tried, from grub rescue, typing set root=(hd0,1)
> and on another line trying linux16 /boot/vmlinuz...
> but there is no way for me to determine the exact name
> of the kernel. Just as an experiment, I tried cat
> (hd0,1)/boot/grub2/grub.cfg but cat is not recognized,
> etc. I think access to all of the files on the drive
> are blocked, so even were I to deduce their names
> correctly, I would not be able to access them.

It may be one of the TPM related patches for GRUB. I suggest filing a
bug, as during the entire pre-release testing of beta no one ran into
this and the more information that's collected about the problem the
better off Fedora is for final release. Include in the bug cc:
mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

More info on TPMs and measured boot.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/LTZW5RA3VAYGS7GFIXNYUU3GJBNLPGPH

After that, you can probably fix this by booting any media you have
and putting the new system in a chroot:
mount <devrootfs> /mnt
mount <devboot> /mnt/boot
mount -B /sys /mnt/sys
mount -B /dev /mnt/dev
mount -B /proc /mnt/proc
chroot /mnt
curl -Os https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/grub2/2.02/0.25.fc23/x86_64/grub2-2.02-0.25.fc23.x86_64.rpm
&
curl -Os https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/grub2/2.02/0.25.fc23/x86_64/grub2-tools-2.02-0.25.fc23.x86_64.rpm
&
curl -Os https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/grub2/2.02/0.25.fc23/x86_64/grub2-efi-2.02-0.25.fc23.x86_64.rpm
&
dnf downgrade *rpm
grub2-install /dev/sdX
exit
reboot

Seems like it ought to be easier but that's what I'm thinking off off hand.

--
Chris Murphy