Re: Fedora 24 beta (nearly) - major problem, help

Felix Miata wrote:

> There probably isn't a motherboard in existence with
a BIOS that old that
> does not require a genuine DOS boot to update its
BIOS. That should be no
> impediment to any Linux user, as DOS boot media to
facilitate flashing are
> readily available. e.g. from
http://www.bootdisk.com/

I've checked out that site before, but it's been a
while. I just wasn't sure whether I wanted to risk an
open source BIOS, or do they have loaders for the
original BIOS updates from the manufacturers? I'd like
to give it a try some time... but first I have to get
this TPM solved ;-)

> Mike Chambers wrote:

> It's increasingly possible with fwupdate but it
requires manufacturer
> support for it, pretty sure. Anyway, most
manufacturers have a FreeDOS
> based image that can be used to flash the BIOS. If
you have to have
> Windows to do this, probably forget it because that
means starting
> over - that installer will obliterate the drive
contents.

> But before worrying about the firmware, find out
whether you have the
> latest version or not and include that information
in the bug report.
> And check the changelogs. If none of the versions
since what you have
> fix anything related to TPM then it may not even be
relevant.

I'd noticed fwupdate in the repo, but I think there
were some warnings, so I thought I better leave well
enough alone. One day, I would like to give it a try,
since I don't want to be forced into the Windows
environment to perform basic system maintenance.

Thanks for the ideas.