Re: Fedora 24 beta (nearly) - major problem, help

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 8:29 PM, P.  Gueckel <pgueckel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 7:48 PM, P.  Gueckel
> <pgueckel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> reinstall grub?  I've had
> lately.
>>>
>>> That had already occurred to me. How do I select
>>> rescue mode, when I cannot even get the grub menu?
>>> the tried, from grub rescue, typing set
> root=(hd0,1)
>>> and on another line trying linux16 /boot/vmlinuz...
>>> but there is no way for me to determine the exact
> name
>>> of the kernel. Just as an experiment, I tried cat
>>> (hd0,1)/boot/grub2/grub.cfg but cat is not
> recognized,
>>> etc. I think access to all of the files on the
> drive
>>> are blocked, so even were I to deduce their names
>>> correctly, I would not be able to access them.
>>
>> It may be one of the TPM related patches for GRUB. I
> suggest filing a
>> bug, as during the entire pre-release testing of
> beta no one ran into
>> this and the more information that's collected about
> the problem the
>> better off Fedora is for final release. Include in
> the bug cc:
>> mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> More info on TPMs and measured boot.
>>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/LTZW5RA3VAYGS7GFIXNYUU3GJBNLPGPH
>>
>> After that, you can probably fix this by booting any
> media you have
>> and putting the new system in a chroot:
>> mount <devrootfs> /mnt
>> mount <devboot> /mnt/boot
>> mount -B /sys /mnt/sys
>> mount -B /dev /mnt/dev
>> mount -B /proc /mnt/proc
>> chroot /mnt
>> curl -Os
>>
> https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/grub2/2.02/0.25.fc23/x86_64/grub2-2.02-0.25.fc23.x86_64.rpm
>> & curl -Os
>>
> https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/grub2/2.02/0.25.fc23/x86_64/grub2-tools-2.02-0.25.fc23.x86_64.rpm
>> & curl -Os
>>
> https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/grub2/2.02/0.25.fc23/x86_64/grub2-efi-2.02-0.25.fc23.x86_64.rpm
>> & dnf downgrade *rpm
>> grub2-install /dev/sdX
>> exit
>> reboot
>>
>> Seems like it ought to be easier but that's what I'm
> thinking off off
>> hand.
>>

> Hey, thanks! If its that long and complicated, it has
> to work ;-) I've been at this literally since
> breakfast, so I think I'll call it a day for tonight,
> but I will give that a try and file the bug report,
> too. I'll include your email address in the CCs.
>
> Merci a lot. I sure hope it works! That old laptop is
> still as good as new, practically. I'd hate it to be
> bricked. I suppose I could go back to F23, if TPM
> hasn't gotten hardware switched somehow.

There's a decent chance mjg59 will ask for more info, so you might
file the bug and then give it some time before going through with the
fix. Once fixed you may have to break it again to acquire any
requested debug info. Your case might be an edge case, but it could
affect piles of users.

Actually, worth a shot booting off any install/rescue media, without
making any changes:

dmesg | grep DMI

That'll supply make/model and firmware revision. You might check if
the firmware is current. But in any case include this line in the bug
report.

--
Chris Murphy