Re: How to calculate priority for missing tests or %check

On Fri, 2014-02-28 at 23:57 +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> And FWIW no, I dont follow the "there are some packages with incorrect
> URL, thus the field must be useless and should be removed" logic here.

Just to puree the horse further: I never said that.

I do believe that the most valuable URL that an rpm could point to would
in fact be procedurally generated, probably to something persistent like
what's on packages.debian.org, thus simultaneously solving the problems
of build recipe being intermingled with user metadata and
eventually-stale URLs forever burned into the rpm once built.

But, as with the original point about %check, the thing I'm
fundamentally irritated about is the apparent inability to distinguish
how things are from how they ought to be.  In both cases it seems the
things we ought to be doing are ignored because they're not what's
currently in front of us.  %check is a toy, but because it's there we
don't work on a test setup that's any good.  URL is haphazard at best,
but because it's currently manual we don't work on the automation that
would make it reliably useful.

I expect better.

- ajax