Re: what is suppose to work?

On 12/11/2012 01:56 PM, David Lehman wrote:
On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 07:33 -0500, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
On 12/11/2012 07:10 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
On 12/10/2012 06:37 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 16:22 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:

3.  Handle predefined pools and subvolumes.
This is working in current (post-beta) versions.
Where are these versions? I'm not seeing anything newer than 18.37
in koji.
That is the latest post-Beta build. Anything after 18.29.2 is post-Beta.
TC1 contains 18.36, IIRC. 18.37 seems to have one or two significant
regressions from 18.36.
So, are you saying that if I use TC1, it should work for btrfs?

For subvolumes which I want to use as is such as /home, I can see
things working.  But, for a subvolume where the corresponding LVM
function would be to reformat (such as might be needed for root), is
that really there too?
Sorry, but I consider that with TC1 (DVD), btrfs and subvolumes are not
working.

1. You can add an existing subvolume such as /home.

2. You cannot use an existing btrfs subvolume for root ("/") even if it
is "empty".
And that's how it's going to stay, too. You have to create a new
filesystem for root regardless of device/fs type, and this is the
closest analogue for btrfs subvolumes (create new subvolume being the
only reasonable way to get a fresh tree with btrfs aside from creating a
new volume).
I very much understand. BTRFS is very different from LVM or regular partitions. There is no simple way to tell that a subvolume is "empty."

3.  You cannot create a new subvolume in an existing btrfs pool.
Right. The btrfs-specific pieces for this aren't hooked up as I
mentioned before. Incidentally, you should be able to add a subvolume if
your disks are fully occupied and there is an existing btrfs volume.
There just isn't any UI to switch them around from volume to volume,
yet.

OK, so if there is no free space on a disk, all of the defined regular partitions, LVs, and subvolumes are on defined mount points, but there is free space in a BTRFS pool, then it should let me create a new "root" subvolume.

Is that correct?

BTW, I am also puzzling this out with kickstart. Everything is fine if I freshly format the BTRFS partition and then allocate some subvolumes but I have not figured out how to add a new subvolume to an existing pool? Any hints?

Gene