Re: what is suppose to work?

On Sun, 2012-12-09 at 11:48 -0500, Gene Czarcinski wrote:

> 3.  Using my newly created F18-beta-livecd, I attempted to install into
> a predefined LV .. this worked BUT /boot/grub2/grub.cfg did not exist
> and grub2 was not installed into /dev/vda ... manually fixed it from
> rescue.  This appears to be a step back since the regular livecd worked
> with respect to grub2.

At what point are you checking and finding no bootloader setup?

> 4. I have had zero success with the F18-beta DVD in using predefined
> btrfs subvolumes.  Yes, it does display them but when I press "apply",
> the mount point value of "/" is cleared and nothing else happens.

At this point you should try clicking on the "New Fedora 18..." expander
on the left-hand side. Is your mountpoint showing up under there?

> 5.  With my newly created F18-beta-livecd, I had exactly the same
> experience as above.  However, this time I deleted the two btrfs
> subvolumes I had defined and the btrfs partition.  I then reallocated a
> newbtrfs and that worked.  BUT, again, grub2 was not installed and there
> was no grub.cfg

Again, at what point are you looking for grub.cfg?

> 6.  One general thing I find missing is to control where (on what
> device) a partition is allocated.  This is a problem!  Although  I was
> able to allocate the btrfs, My intent was that it be on one volume but
> in someones infinite wisdom it was on two.  Is there any effort in this
> area?

When editing a new/non-existent device, click on the button with the
tools icon to specify the set of candidate disks for that device. The
change will take effect when you click on "Apply changes", select a
different device/mountpoint, or click "Finish partitioning".

> Have such tests been conducted successfully by F18 QC?
>
> This is getting a bit frustrating!

You are running a beta. Also, this happens to be a beta that includes an
installer whose UI is also a beta. If you are easily frustrated maybe
you should sit this one out.