Re: what is suppose to work?

On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 07:33 -0500, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> On 12/11/2012 07:10 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:

> >> That is the latest post-Beta build. Anything after 18.29.2 is post-Beta.
> >> TC1 contains 18.36, IIRC. 18.37 seems to have one or two significant
> >> regressions from 18.36.
> > So, are you saying that if I use TC1, it should work for btrfs?
> >
> > For subvolumes which I want to use as is such as /home, I can see
> > things working.  But, for a subvolume where the corresponding LVM
> > function would be to reformat (such as might be needed for root), is
> > that really there too?
> Sorry, but I consider that with TC1 (DVD), btrfs and subvolumes are not
> working.
>
> 1. You can add an existing subvolume such as /home.
>
> 2. You cannot use an existing btrfs subvolume for root ("/") even if it
> is "empty".

And that's how it's going to stay, too. You have to create a new
filesystem for root regardless of device/fs type, and this is the
closest analogue for btrfs subvolumes (create new subvolume being the
only reasonable way to get a fresh tree with btrfs aside from creating a
new volume).

> 3.  You cannot create a new subvolume in an existing btrfs pool.

Right. The btrfs-specific pieces for this aren't hooked up as I
mentioned before. Incidentally, you should be able to add a subvolume if
your disks are fully occupied and there is an existing btrfs volume.
There just isn't any UI to switch them around from volume to volume,
yet.