Re: why not a partition assignment mode?

On 2012-12-05 21:44 (GMT-0800) Adam Williamson composed:

On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 22:00 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:

On Dec 4, 2012, at 5:58 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> I don't know why you'd expect a 'partition assignment only' mode to
> exist, given that there wasn't one in F17 and there was no indication of
> one in any of the design documents for newui.

Maybe it's expected because 95% of the world's desktop/server OS's
have this option.

Erm. Really? Are you sure we're not talking at cross-purposes here? I'm
not sure I recall seeing any installer other than Mandriva's which
offers a special version of its partitioning interface where you cannot
create or remove partitions, only select mount points for existing
partitions. That is what the OP is describing.

For those unfamiliar, Mageia as a fork of Mandriva retained the same installation cmdline option "readonly=1". Using it presents the following partitioning windows during installation, quite logically, prior to software selection:

#1 http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/mgaReadonly1s1.png
#2 http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/mgaReadonly1s2.png

After software is selected and installed is presented the following screen, where installation process summary and (re)configuration options can be seen:
http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/mgaInstSummary.png

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/