Re: Rename anaconda to cryptoconda?

On 2012-12-03 11:07 (GMT-0500) Adam Williamson composed:

On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 10:54 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> Seriously? It's hard to imagine whoever is responsible for that page has any
> idea how to make anything usable, much less possesses skill at it:
> http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/SC/sc-mairduff1200.png

You're being pretty rude here.  You're judging someone's competence
based on a screenshot from who knows when.  That seems uncalled for.

If it mattered to you to know how old it was, you could have found with curl or wget that it was 12 minutes older than my post that included its URL. The subject page of the putative usability expert demonstrates absence of knowledge of a fundamental element of usability - legibility.

What he's actually doing - it's pretty cryptic and requires historical
context - is riding his hobby horse, which is default font sizes on
websites.

"Default font sizes" are not of web sites. Default font sizes are of web browsers and site users, which are ignored (by setting a specific absolute size) or disrespected (by setting an initial and subsequent sizes at some fraction of the browser default) by web site styling.

That's not a screenshot of Mo's desktop or anything, it's Mo's
blog loaded in a view he uses to evaluate font sizes. What he's trying
to say, cryptically, is that he thinks Mo uses small fonts on her
website.

I don't think so, I know so. The image includes the URL of the subject page, and the URL of its contextual presentation page, so interested viewers can open them on their own to get a first hand view if they care to.

Under the covers of the subject page is the rudeness of the owners design, http://blog.linuxgrrl.com/wp-content/themes/journalist/style.css, where the viewer's browser's default size is _disregarded_, in effect overridden, via this rule:

	body {...font-size: 13px...}

What that rule says is that regardless how the viewer's browser is configured, or the environment of the user, in particular the pixel density of his display, 13px shall be used as a base instead. This rudely thwarts the web's inherent adaptability.

The subject page shows its owner doesn't demonstrate knowledge that legibility is a fundament of usability. My exercise via that image echoes a real usability expert's description of the number one web user complaint: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html

I admit, I do have problem dealing with rudeness without being rude in the process. As someone using the web constantly, I'm constantly overwhelmed by pervasive web styling rudeness, in a virtually constant state of frustration.

At least web browsers provide defense mechanisms so that users can cope (e.g. zoom, minimum size, CSS disregard) with mousetype[1]. In Anaconda, Ctrl-+ doesn't zoom the text to a legible size, and no alternate means of configuring Anaconda text to be legible exists anyplace I've been able to locate.

[1] http://hermeticpress.blogspot.com/2009/04/mouse-type.html

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/