Re: community etiquette (Re: Rename anaconda to cryptoconda?)

On 2012-12-04 09:46 (GMT-0800) Adam Williamson composed:

On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 05:35 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

The results I found have been two years in the making? Yikes!!!

Yes. I do keep saying this stuff is hard and encouraging you to read the
design documentation and relevant blogs to understand how we got to
where we are. I don't know why this is apparently so difficult.

Maybe not everyone here knows why, but I refuse to believe _you_ don't. Combing docs is un-fun, made less fun by their mass, and even more so by Fedora's web doc presentation.

no 'n00b' has tried it at all yet, as n00bs don't run Fedora
betas.

I don't know. It's often the case a n00b with a new puter wants to try Linux, does so, finds his hardware is too new to be supported by the latest release version, and gets a suggestion from a general purpose forum to try a nearing-next-release beta.

Sometimes being a multibooting expert who refuses to read documentation
or explanations makes things harder, not easier. :)

It's really not so much refusal as un-fun impediment. Mailing list posts are _much_ more fun, because they're virtually always legible, and presented by normal humans instead of deezignerz.

saying you'll
only test something if it works really well appears to be putting the
cart before the horse.

There's only really one feature I want from Anaconda, one which doesn't seem to exist. Neither seems to exist a workaround or substitute for its absence. I won't be the only one who wants it. Looking for it in a release version would be too late, but looking for it often seems pointless. For now, yum upgrading a minimal F17 installation in order to test F18B function lets me spend more time evaluating things I can understand and less time frustrated by unfamiliar paradigms.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/