Re: Anaconda Accolades

On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 13:08 -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 09:56:29AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 08:26 -0500, Samuel Greenfeld wrote:
> >

> > Media verification is the default. If it's taking 20+ minutes on a
> > physical DVD and we have no progress indicator, that's definitely
> > something of a problem.
>

> As you've said before, it's always been the default.  However in the past,
> it was very simple to skip--which I always have because frankly, in RH it's
> never been reliable.

Well it was completely different before - it was an option in the loader
UI, with buttons and a full progress screen and stuff. Right now it's
part of dracut with very minimal UI.

> I don't recollect running into it in recent Beta test installs--is it
> something that is as easily skipped as it's always been?

Not right now, no, that's kind of the problem - it runs right from the
boot menu with zero UI, it just runs and you wait. It doesn't even tell
you it's running. You should be able to bail out of it with Esc, but
apparently that doesn't work.

If you catch and read the boot menu it's easy enough to skip - you just
pick 'Install Fedora 18' instead of 'Verify media and install Fedora
18'. But you do have to spot it.

> As long as it's easily turned off that's not a problem. As it's not
> something _I_ use, you can put put in a progress bar or not, but I won't
> see it. :)  (Hrrm, the Archer episode, where he and Lana are going to
> become human prey, comes to mind.  When the villain says to go, Archer
> pushes Lana to the ground to get a head start--she shouts, "Archer, are you
> really that self-centered?"  He shouts back, "Apparently.")

MANY POINTS FOR ARCHER
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey