Re: DVD ISO on USB stick (was: Re: F18-Beta installer - Aaaargh!)

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 17:15:47 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-11-30 at 23:32 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > Mixed results.
> >
> > Booting from USB stick crashed the installer at the first mouse-click on
> > its main screen with another traceback due to umount /mnt/sysimage being
> > busy or something. A typical "WTF?" situation. Didn't bother reporting that
> > from within the installer, because rebooting the USB stick and acting more
> > slowly with the first mouse-clicks apparently was enough to not make it not
> > crash.
>
> Please do report all of these. We want to catch all the races. Can you
> reliably reproduce it by acting quickly?

No. It seems the large button areas on the first screen are greyed out
until the initial checks have been performed. Which makes reproduciblity
less easy, because the very first screen is the language selection one must
leave with a first mouse-click, and perhaps mouse-clicks don't matter at
all. ;-) I just described what I did when I tried to install from USB after
the unsuccessful attemps from hard-disk. Maybe it crashes independent of
the user activity, but dependent only on how it performs the early checks?

I don't feel like testing this too often. The developers won't spend time
on it either if they cannot reproduce it easily.

The installer seems to be multi-threaded, and if it's racy indeed,
eventually someone will run into the same crash. Apparently, that has not
happened during pre-release testing of the Beta.

--
Fedora release 18 (Spherical Cow) - Linux 3.6.7-5.fc18.x86_64
loadavg: 0.08 0.22 0.23