Re: F18-Beta installer - Aaaargh!

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 11:30:53 -0600, David Lehman wrote:

> > It defaults to automatic partitioning, complaining about not enough free
> > space. I've searched for a way to tell it that I want to reuse an existing
> > logical partition.  One that has a Rawhide->F18-Alpha on it. Somehow I
>
> The way to tell it this is to activate the "I want to use custom
> partitioning instead" checkbutton and thus enter custom partitioning by
> clicking the "Reclaim" button.

Which is what I've done. It's confusing nevertheless, since the dialog
refers to shrinking partitions/volumes, whereas the user does not want
to do that, but simply wants to reuse existing partitions/volumes. Clicking
a button "Reclaim space" sounds weird in that context.

Why can't the checkbox not be turnt into a "Manual partitioning" button
that one would click instead of the Reclaim button? Afterall, the section
is titled "Manual partitioning", too.

> Never has there been a feature of
> automatic partitioning that said "do automatic partitioning but reuse
> this ___ device."

No, but in my case it still refers to automatic partitioning _after_ I've
completed the manual partitioning.

> > needed to click "Continue" to reach an error dialog that again tells me
> > there is not enough free space and that the installer will help me, so I
> > tell it I don't need help, I want to partition myself, but I cannot escape
> > that dialog other than with the "Reclaim space" button. Could be
> > dangerous, but I take the risk and click it after changing the
> > partitioning which defaults to "LVM", which should be irrelevant when I
> > partition myself.
>
> It is not irrelevant if you plan to create any new devices in custom.
> That same device/scheme chooser sets the default type for new devices
> you create as well as the default automatic partitioning scheme.
>

> > I reach the partitioning screen, where assigning mount points is everything
> > other than intuitive compared with old Anaconda. Partition names are not
> > displayed anywere, just labels, mount points and names of existing installations.
> > It needs many mouse-clicks to open existing installations (this is a multi-boot
> > desktop) and reuse mount-points via the "Apply changes" button. Again,
> > so far so good, at least I can make the installer use the LUKS encrypted
> > /home and a few /mnt/… targets. I also tell it to reformat (!) the Root
> > ext4 partition, but:
>
> You didn't mention what you did in between setting up your custom layout
> and being on any screen where you might see an error about automatic
> partitioning.

It's 100% reproducible here, and just a few minutes ago I might have found out
that order does matter. I will try to verify that once more.
My steps are below:

> > It continues to display a yellow warning about not enough free space for
> > automatic partitioning. Help! I can revisit the partitioning screen
> > endlessly without any way to teach it that reformatting means the space
> > will be available for installation. And why does it still refer to
> > automatic partitioning, if I tell it that I partition myself?
> > What am I missing? The begin installation button is greyed out.
>
> How are you leaving the custom partitioning screen? If you click on
> "Back to destination selection" your changes will not be saved because
> that indicates that you have changed your mind as opposed to being done.
> If you click on "Finish Partitioning" your changes will be saved.

Of course I clicked "Finish Partitioning", as returning to selecting the
destination would be stupid. Anyway,

1. open the Unknown partitions/volumes (don't remember the terminology right
now), enter secondary password for my LUKS /home, wait for that one to become
available
2. open the _old_ Fedora 18-Alpha x86_64 blahblah entry from which to reuse
existing mount points
3. fill in the mount points, "Apply Changes" for each of /home, /home/sharedhome,
/mnt/storage, /mnt/distimages, then /root last and check the Reformat checkbox
4. With "Finish Partitioning", I return to the main screen and see both a
yellow warning at the bottom as well as a yellow exclamation mark behind the
Storage field referring to the not enough space problem. Revisiting the
manual partitioning does not help either.

These steps I've tried multiple times to confirm them.
Roughly in an hour or so I'll revisit a different order in which to add the
mount points, as I think leaving out the LUKS /home may be enough for a
non-reproducer. There will be a report in bugzilla once/if I figure that out.