Re: Oh No! Not grub2?!?

Hi,

I read at this very mailinglist that Fedora 16 is listed to
having grub2. I was interested if this was really true and where
I could learn more about how Fedora is planning to package and
use it in Fedora 16. I have run into all kinds of issues with the
upstream version installed on Gentoo and ... I do not want to be
a guinea pig for irresponsible developers wasting users' time by
replacing working software with versions that are known not to
work.

For example, I'm doomed to enter the boot parameters manually on
the grub commandline on each boot, because the mkconfig tool
fails(*) and the documentation how to write configfile manually
is not available. Note that the mkconfig failure is a known
problem for which a solution exists since April or something like
that, yet it still didn't get into any release.

(*) Sorry not to refer to specific issue, my memory is failing
what was the exact error mesage, and I don't have access to that
machine now, ask me on Friday if interested.

Another example is the need to re-partition your disk if btrfs is
used.

Another example is the unability to run memtest86+ - or maybe it
can run it, but it is so complicated that I gave up too early ...
all this 64 bit, 16 bit (!), "like bsd", 32 bit, etc. etc. stuff

K.

--
Karel Volný
QE BaseOs/Daemons Team