Re: My Fedora 15 beta experiences so far

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/31/2011 09:17 AM, drago01 wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Pasha R<pashar.ml@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

>>> Care to explain the logic behind this? Because it is really beyond my
>>> understanding.
>>
>> Screensavers has lost there use years ago.
>> With today's screens they don't really "save" anything but simply
>> waste power for no reason whatever.
>
> Correct, but there are much more energy wasting components.
>
> That said, I fail to understand how one can base a DE on GL.

Using the GPU for drawing rather then the CPU is not wasting but
saving power. The GPU is (surprise surprise)  way more efficient at
tasks like those.
Pretty much any smartphone or tablet UI (those are power constrained
devices) use a GL (or some other hardware accelerated) "desktop".

So no using GL == wasting power is simply not true. (And if it really
is something is broken and needs to be fixed).