Re: Request for feedback: %pycached macro for %files section

On 2020-01-07 19:23, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 1:18 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 1:00 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 16. 12. 19 16:56, Neal Gompa wrote:
For what it's worth. I think %pycached is a nice improvement. I'm not
sure if I like the name of it specifically, but the behavior is quite
desirable.

Naming things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was thinking:

   %with_pycache - collides with bconds
   %include_pycache - quite long
   %pyc - quite indecipherable
   %pycache - might be mistaken to only include the pyc files

%pycached doesn't sound that bad to me - include that file, but also its cached
Python bytecode. However I am not a native speaker and I realize I often
desecrate the English language. Got any better suggestions?

%pyfile is probably quite enough for that. It looks and feels like a
marker instead of something strange, and the underlying behavior is
somewhat immaterial.

I support this incremental improvement.

I agree with Neal here. %pyfile is probably the best/simplest option.
It will read best too, as it basically says "Deploy the functionality
of this python file in the appropriate manner". The implementation can
then be adjusted as needed.

While "Deploy the functionality of this python file in the appropriate manner" would be great, it would need to guess too much. The filename doesn't have enough info. %pycached's very limited scope is a feature. It should be a reliable tool that you can use manually, or later as part of a more complex system.

As for the name, I hope y'all don't mind that we skipped the bikeshedding and went with %pycached after considering the alternatives privately.