Re: Request for feedback: %pycached macro for %files section

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 7:22 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16. 12. 19 13:03, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> > My proposal is high level idea. It is easy to shot it down based on "how
> > would one split several Python modules across several subpackages?". Of
> > course next step would be to output to wile lists, one for py files
> > while the other for pyc files. If you are talking about other possilbe
> > subpackages, it could be possible to use some parameter, or block to
> > create appropriately named file list.
>
> My proposal is a low level idea. It is easy to shot it down based on "my high
> level idea I don't fully comprehend* is better than yours".
>
> (* That's what you have admitted in this very thread.)
>
> So let me summarize this here:
>
>   - I hear your high level idea. I heard it for the first time.
>   - I plan to summarize Python Minimization ideas early 2020, including yours.
>   - %pycached macro does not go against your idea.
>   - You idea can be realized in rawhide only (if at all).
>   - %pycached makes existing specs easier.
>   - %pycached can be backported to older releases.
>   - There is a volunteer to implement %pycached (done).
>   - AFAIK There is no volunteer to implement your idea.
>
> I appreciate your ideas, but providing them as negative feedback to %pycached is
> not fair. And call me bullheaded if you want, but I will not consider such
> feedback, as it is IMHO not helpful.
>

> Now, can we please focus on actual feedback to %pycached? Possibly in a
> different subthread?

For what it's worth. I think %pycached is a nice improvement. I'm not
sure if I like the name of it specifically, but the behavior is quite
desirable.

In the next year, we could look at leveraging the INSTALLED_FILES
stuff that setuptools, et al. produce and enhance it with %pycached
(or whatever) so that we grab not just the files it copied, but all
the byte-compiled files too. The mechanism in which to do so will be
somewhat interesting, since making that file get produced during
python builds is no longer quite so simple with the advent of PEP
517/518 based projects... But it's something to look forward to.