Re: Does FPC have any policy about packaging when the upstream have chosen a deliberately offensive name for their application/library?

I get nothing for

> dnf search retard faggot beaner nigger cunt

though.

I get plenty for

> dnf search anus bugger

but those all look quite accidental.

Notice that all instances of fuck that show up are at least somewhat appropriate to the
app or library, and have little to do with the core obscene meaning of the word.
"fuck" in "brainfuck", means "to mess with", "thefuck" is probably short for
"what the fuck" (a pretty random exclamation that one might make after mistyping
something), and "fuck it" means
"just forget about it, ignore it". They are all fairly denatured, and descriptive
of the purpose of the library.

"Sexy" is even more denatured than these uses of "fuck". Someone recently told me
that a clothes washer was probably the least sexy household appliance I'ld
ever buy, and I'm pretty sure they just meant "appealing" or "exciting" or
something like that, i.e., they did _not_ really mean "sexually attractive"
or anything else to do with sex. It's a pretty common usage, these days.

So, just to make certain, the fact that a library was called, e.g., libeaner, would not be an objection
to it being packaged at all, or to the package name itself being libeaner, or anything
like that? (Wikipedia tells me that Beaner/Beano is an offensive name for an Hispanic
person.) The question assumes that the upstream had deliberately chosen the name
for this meaning, that it wasn't an accidental match, as in debugger or manuscript.

- mulhern