Re: Does FPC have any policy about packaging when the upstream have chosen a deliberately offensive name for their application/library?

On 06/09/2016 04:34 PM, Anne Mulhern wrote:
> I get nothing for
>
>> dnf search retard faggot beaner nigger cunt
>
> though.
>
> I get plenty for
>
>> dnf search anus bugger
>
> but those all look quite accidental.
>
> Notice that all instances of fuck that show up are at least somewhat appropriate to the
> app or library, and have little to do with the core obscene meaning of the word.
> "fuck" in "brainfuck", means "to mess with", "thefuck" is probably short for
> "what the fuck" (a pretty random exclamation that one might make after mistyping
> something), and "fuck it" means
> "just forget about it, ignore it". They are all fairly denatured, and descriptive
> of the purpose of the library.
>
> "Sexy" is even more denatured than these uses of "fuck". Someone recently told me
> that a clothes washer was probably the least sexy household appliance I'ld
> ever buy, and I'm pretty sure they just meant "appealing" or "exciting" or
> something like that, i.e., they did _not_ really mean "sexually attractive"
> or anything else to do with sex. It's a pretty common usage, these days.
>
> So, just to make certain, the fact that a library was called, e.g., libeaner, would not be an objection

If I were to see a package called libeaner, my assumption as a C coder would be
to assume that it was like libiberty: named that way because when passed to GCC
it would become "-leaner" (like libiberty becomes "-liberty"). If it carried a
racial connotation, I'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt that it was
unintentional.