Re: fedora-usermgmt

On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 12:59 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 12:24:21 +0100, SC (Simone) wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > can you please explain that a bit further? I don't think I understand,
> > I see this reference at
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageUserCreation:
>
> You've quoted the relevant part. Here:
>
> > Another solution might be semi-static UIDs, which are relative to a
> > system-wide value and unique for the entire Fedora Project. The
> > current (experimental) implementation uses the file
> > /etc/fedora/usermgmt/baseuid to configure the value to which the
> > relative UID would be added. As an example, when
> > /etc/fedora/usermgmt/baseuid contains "30000", the user 'joe', with
> > the semi-static UID 23, will get the final UID 30023 (30000+23)."

Yep, and that's what the bacula is working with - Simone mentioned
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageUserRegistry - which was created
for this experimental implementation based on baseuid - and 33 is
reserved there for bacula user/group . But this reservation is not for
33:33 uidgid pair, but for baseuid+33:baseuid+33 uidgid pair (and
fedora-useradd or %fedora_useradd macro should be used for it instead of
shadow-utils /usr/sbin/useradd )

> So, if you drop using fedora-usermgmt, you cannot keep the relative (!)
> uid 33 that has been registered for it. 33 is "amandabackup":
>
>   $ rpm -qd setup
>   /usr/share/doc/setup-2.8.36/COPYING
>   /usr/share/doc/setup-2.8.36/uidgid           <-- (!)
>
> Package "setup"'s %changelog mentions a lot of activity related to reserving
> system uids/gids.

Yep, that's right, 33 is reserved for amandabackup user ...
Please note that threshold of 200 is now used for statically allocated
ID's (that's respected in useradd (shadow-utils) - shadow-utils changed
its dynamic user creation, so now it goes downwards. This change was
done in ~F11 and no issues with it were reported so far.

> > The file /etc/fedora/usermgmt/baseuid contains 300, so I'm guessing
> > the correct setup for Bacula would be to set 333 as the uid/gid. Is
> > that correct?
>
> You would first need to have uid 333 registered/reserveed as a fixed uid.

I don't think that this is a good idea - you either should have static
ID (network/virtual machines facing, storing sensitive data) or dynamic
system user creation should be ok for you.

> > The previous version used fedora-usermgmt (so uid 333) but did not
> > remove the user and directory;
>
> Well, then it isn't following the guidelines, which mention the userdel
> scriptlets. ;)
>
> > that is pointless anyway because you
> > don't remove the directory only if you have it dynamic.
>
> However, if the directory contains files created at run-time, the package
> should not "rm -rf" those files when uninstalling, so it could remove the
> empty dir.
> --

Greetings,
         Ondrej Vasik