Re: fedora-usermgmt

Hello,

can you please explain that a bit further? I don't think I understand,
I see this reference at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageUserCreation:

"The first is to register a fixed UID and call "/usr/sbin/useradd -r
parameter. For fixed UIDs, there are only 100 free slots, which is not
enough for the Fedora Project (79 are already used by Fedora Core),
and dynamic or random UIDs have problems of their own, as demonstrated
here.

Another solution might be semi-static UIDs, which are relative to a
system-wide value and unique for the entire Fedora Project. The
current (experimental) implementation uses the file
/etc/fedora/usermgmt/baseuid to configure the value to which the
relative UID would be added. As an example, when
/etc/fedora/usermgmt/baseuid contains "30000", the user 'joe', with
the semi-static UID 23, will get the final UID 30023 (30000+23)."

The file /etc/fedora/usermgmt/baseuid contains 300, so I'm guessing
the correct setup for Bacula would be to set 333 as the uid/gid. Is
that correct?

The previous version used fedora-usermgmt (so uid 333) but did not
remove the user and directory; that is pointless anyway because you
don't remove the directory only if you have it dynamic.

Here is the spec file of the last Koji build; should I change it?

%global uid 33
%global username bacula

%package common
Provides:		group(%username) = %uid
Provides:		user(%username) = %uid
Requires(pre):		shadow-utils
Requires(postun):	shadow-utils

%pre common
getent group %username >/dev/null || groupadd -g %uid -r %username
&>/dev/null || :
getent passwd %username >/dev/null || useradd -u %uid -r -s /sbin/nologin \
    -d /var/spool/bacula -M -c 'Bacula Backup System' -g %username
%username &>/dev/null || :
exit 0

%postun common
test "$1" != 0 || userdel %username &>/dev/null || :
test "$1" != 0 || groupdel %username &>/dev/null || :
exit 0

Many thanks,
--Simone

On 20 December 2011 11:48, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 08:51:09 +0100, SC (Simone) wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Bacula package already has a registered user group of 33 in:
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageUserRegistry
>>
>> so I will keep on using that; no change.
>
> That would be wrong, because the numbers on that Wiki page are not UIDs
> but just base numbers which are mapped by fedora-usermgmt using a
> configurable "baseuid" value.
> --

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose
sight of the shore (R. W. Emerson).