Re: Games Spin Update - Looking good for alpha release

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 18:52:31 -0600,
  Callum Lerwick <seg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > One important consideration came up that I had not previously considered. Vfat
> > files are limited to less than 4 GiB. Considering the audience for the
> > published games spin, I think we want to keep the iso image under 4 GiB so
> > that people using vfat file systems can use the games spin iso.
>
> Are we really that worried about people still using Windows 9x? Anyone
> using XP or newer ought to be using NTFS by now.
>
> Though FAT is still common on removable media. Are we looking to boot
> the image from an 8gb+ USB stick?

If it isn't going to be a problem in general, I'd rather see it keep what is
there now. I thought that vfat use might be in wider use, but I don't
really follow the Windows world too closely.

Since this is supposed to be an outreach spin, I don't want to do something
that is going to cause problems with that.

Since the idea is to burn the image to DVD, I don't think whether or not it
is a problem on usb drives is a big deal. I would expect people that want
to use it on a usb drive, will use the live usb tool. And for carting around,
you might as well burn it to a DVD as that's what it is supposed to be used
for.

When people upgraded to XP, did their file systems get converted from vfat
to ntfs in the process? Is there likely to be many people whose main file
system is vfat?

Based on this feedback, I am now thinking that using the current size for
the alpha and getting feedback is probably better. I think I will need to
pursue both options in the short run and get some more input from the spins
sig.