Re: Fedora Publishing

Is there something wrong with a moderated wiki that I'm missing?  Sorry - I don't mean to be a pest here, and I had kinda given up on the thread, but it's still kickin', it seems.

A git workflow doesn't strike me as as bad, necessarily, but man it's gotta be incredibly simple and obvious how to participate.  If it's simply:

1) Sign up for an account / Log in
2) Use a browser to navigate to the page/section in need of modification.
3) Press a button to enter composition mode in the browser.
4) Write content in the browser.
5) Press a button to submit pull request from the browser.

Then it seems right to me.  In fact, a git style system would probably provide a nice way to share logins with ask.fedoraproject and/or karma, badges, and awards for content (which I think is crucial for elevating user privileges based on merit and whatnot).  If it's more complicated than the above, I'm back to the moderated wiki suggestion.  If there's a client-side application involved that isn't the browser and is somehow so simple and accessible that it can't possibly be a barrier to entry, that'd probably be ok, too.

What say ye, Pete?  Is there a tool you had in mind that meets those requirements?

-Dylan

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Pete Travis <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Feb 10, 2016 16:58, "Jeff Fearn" <jfearn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/02/16 20:22, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 10:20:10AM +1000, Jeff Fearn wrote:
> >> You are comparing places where communities create content to a place
> >> communities publish content.
> >

> > Sure, fair enough. And, yeah, kudos to Ubuntu community docs too.

> >> Can you name any sites for generating documentation content that is
> >> more, or even as, successful as the Arch or Ubuntu wikis?
> >
> > Well, again, Stack Exchange. Take a look at
> > http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions?sort=frequent
>
> IMHO SE is just a web forum with voting and some fancy CSS, so I guess I
> +1 that :)
>
> >> What kind of docs are the best for Fedora users?
> >> IMO the majority of content would be short articles, straight to the
> >> point, simple language, with some basic examples.
> >
> > +1 to both the question and answer here. That makes +2, I guess. :)
>
> Cheers, Jeff.
>
> --

There are three factors to consider here: ease of contribution, ease of collaboration, and the quality of the resulting copy.  Without a well established collaborative workflow, a very low barrier to contribution leads to low quality documentation.  We have seen this with both the Fedora wiki and with Ask Fedora.  StackExchange works because users aggressively cull out dupes and poor answers, and that is not happening with Fedora's sites.  There is already a general expectation to not be redundant or incorrect on these platforms, and IMO that expectation is not being met.  Providing the same kind of platform to the same user base with the same expectations will likely produce the same result.

This is why I advocate a git and pull request oriented workflow, and a solution built around that workflow.  If you have proven that you produce quality work, it should be easy to publish directly.  If you have not, it should be easy to submit those drive-by contributions for review and easy to review them.  Adding someone to a FAS group so they can publish directly is not an arduous task, and with PRs demonstrating the efficacy of the contributors work, it is not difficult to decide someone should be able to do that.  A solution without this gating will inevitably lead to us having this conversation again.

--Pete