Re: Fedora Publishing

On 09/02/16 10:10, Ryan Lerch wrote:
> On 05/02/16 06:03, Bryan Sutherland wrote:
>> ​ Have you taken a look at the GitBook
>> (https://github.com/GitbookIO/gitbook and https://www.gitbook.com/).
>> It's a node application that builds books/documentation from
>> Markdown/ASCIIDoc files.
>>
>> Just a thought...
>>
>> Bryan ​
>>

>> --
> We really need to nail down what we want the content to be, how it is
> structured, and layed out before discussing any toolchain changes.
>
> IMHO, Having many small articles that address a single point or question
> are much more maintainable and approachable (both for readers and
> writers). For example, if you want to know how to open a specific port
> on Fedora, what would you do? -- type "How do i open a port in Fedora?"
> into your favourite search engine. At the moment, the top hit here is
> our wikipage on IPtables, and the Fedora Networking guide is not in the
> first page. (even if you know there is a networking guide, finding that
> simple nugget of information involves digging through the whole book).

Well if you are going to ignore tool chains and work flows, which IMO is
a very good idea, then I'd suggest also taking a look at which docs
sites are the most successful and consider doing a similar thing.

i.e. it's pretty obvious from a simple google search that gardened wikis
and forums are much more popular than any other form of docs publication
for Open Source communities. I don't just mean google hits, I mean
participation. It's not even close.

The only people using monolithic, heavy weight, processes are the
enterprise vendors, and I include Red Hat in that, who don't want drive
by participation.

If the goal is to get more participants, then if it's not a wiki or a
Q&A forum, then you are knowingly choosing a tool that is less
successful in achieving this goal.

But we have flogged this horse repeatedly and I can't see the basic
approach being changed regardless of it's very predictable impact on
Fedora docs participation.

Cheers, Jeff.
--
Jeff Fearn