Re: Fedora Publishing

On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 01:31:00PM -0600, Pete Travis wrote:
> Great, see you soon!

What are the chances of visiting the Docs strategy?

Over time, we've seen that not just the process of writing, editing,
and publishing docs is difficult for new contributors.  (I know
because I was one.)  But the *strategy* -- which is focused on long
form books for a fast-moving distribution -- is somewhat of a
mismatch.

Short articles and wiki pages and other similar focused docs, on the
other hand, have really eaten our lunch, as far as being the places
users go to find information.  I routinely run into users who tell me
they find answers for how to do things for Fedora on StackExchange,
Arch wiki, Ubuntu forums, and so forth.

Meanwhile, we have all sorts of easier tools for writing, editing,
revision control, and publishing out there.  For instance, AsciiDoc
has really been embraced across a lot of technical docs communities.
Nowadays, just about anyone can edit an ASCII based document in a web
based editor on a git forge (like Github or Pagure), and submit a pull
request without having to jump through any preliminary hoops.

For a high level view of how this is working for other very vibrant
open source communities, q.v.:
https://opensource.com/business/15/7/continuous-integration-and-continuous-delivery-documentation

Here's another cue: It would be great for the future of Fedora if we
could build additional value not just for our users but also our
sponsor Red Hat.  We do that quite handily with the distribution, as
we integrate new tech into Fedora releases.  But what if we could do
this with the strategy in Docs team?  My hope is there are folks in
Red Hat content services who would be interested in pitching in to
help.

But whether that happens or not, refocusing on smaller chunks of
knowledge, and making it easier and more frictionless for people to
create and change those chunks, is one of the best things the Docs
team could do to meet the next wave of change coming in Fedora.  (I'm
looking at you, Atomic, xdg-app, Cloud-fu, etc.)