Re: Fedora Publishing

On Feb 18, 2016 9:27 AM, "Paul W. Frields" <stickster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 09:34:35AM +1000, Jeff Fearn wrote:
> > On 02/05/2016 11:34 PM, Dylan Combs wrote:
> > > (2) tooling that worked like a git/pull-request model?
> >
> > As a developer I am really opposed to inflicting git's pull/request
> > work flows on Humans. IMO docs and code have a highly divergent set
> > of attributes and what makes git good for code doesn't help at all
> > with docs, in fact the complexity of git work flow is just a barrier
> > to entry for a lot of potential docs contributors.
>
> Elsewhere I mentioned online editing in a git repo (which could be
> made transparent to a user).  The user edits in a web browser, and
> doesn't worry about the pull-request mechanics.  I'm not married to
> that by any means.  But it seems to me that someone clicking a link,
> editing in a text entry form, and hitting a "Save" button without
> having to do any other work is a pretty low barrier and worth aiming
> for.
>
> --
> Paul W. Frields

The system I've been working on is intended to address this by periodically querying pkgdb, which maps F$n to rawhide, prerelease, brabched, current release, previous release, and eol iirc.  The system then maps git branches to release statii so only content from ie current and previous release are propagated to the user.  This is similar to the dist-git paradigm, except that release branches are not automatically created in content repos; this way, expiration of content is automatically offloaded to the CICD process unless maintainers take explicit action to branch and update their content for a given release.

Some of this code exists, but could use more polish.  I'm currently trying to set it up so the branch mapping can live in the content repo, and the repo's build process (to a reasonable extent) can be defined in the same place as the content.

And yes, pagure compliments this method nicely, especially the online editing feature, which iirc pingou began to implement after I discussed some of the above with him.

--Pete