Re: Release notes have a launcher - maybe we should remove that

On Tue, 2014-09-02 at 10:46 +0300, Elad Alfassa wrote:

> That sounds like a good compromise.
> The Final Release Criteria doesn't state we need the release notes on
> the *installed* system, it uses the phrasing "on the image"

Back in the day, the release notes were in the root directory of the
distribution media.  This kind of makes sense since you ought to read
the release notes BEFORE you install.  But back then the release notes
were plain text only, and only in English.

However, with the advent of live media, it became a lot more
user-friendly to boot the live media and read the release notes there.
Not only is "everything in one place" but in many cases you can look and
see what the release notes are telling you.  So no, putting them "on the
media" and not "in the live system itself" isn't acceptable unless there
is an obvious click to view them from within the live media.

I've been biting my tongue during this thread.  I get the idea that
there are significant numbers of folks who are willing to sacrifice the
user experience to the altar of ideological purity.

Whatever the implementation details, it is important that the release
notes be easily available, in an obvious place (preferably no different
than the previous release as viewed by the user), and available offline.
As long as the user experience isn't degraded, the implementation
details should focus on ease of maintenance.

But first and foremost, the user should not experience a regression.

--McD