Re: Release notes have a launcher - maybe we should remove that

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 1:16 AM, Leslie S Satenstein
<lsatenstein@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Elad
>
> Sometimes I wonder if I am alone with the documentation group.  I see that you and I have similar ideas.
>
> I have been stating that the release notes, perhaps in pdf format, should be stored in the same directory as the ISO images.
>
> The notes could be in html format by language
> b) Torrent file -- ditto
> c) PDF or *odt format
>
> If wanted, use a a separate directory to hold the notes. In this case, a language code in the title would distinguish the appropriate translation.
>
> In my view, If I have already installed the ISO, it is too late for the notes -- Fedora21 will be functional. The true use of the notes is for planning the upgrade, be it by fresh installation or via fedup.
>
> But what would be of interest to me for pre-installation planning would be  a bill-of-lading -- a contents list for each of the Fedora 21 iso images.
>
> Regards
>
>  Leslie
> Mr. Leslie Satenstein

Hi Leslie.

That sounds like a good compromise.
The Final Release Criteria doesn't state we need the release notes on
the *installed* system, it uses the phrasing "on the image"
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_21_Final_Release_Criteria#Release_notes

So, yes, this is possible, but to make it happen we need to generate
PDFs for the release notes, and get rel-eng to put them on the media
itself.

Just one thing: next time please use "reply to all" to reply on-list
so other people can see your message too.

Is this compromise (putting PDF files in the directory on the media
instead of in the live system itself) acceptable for everyone?
--
-Elad Alfassa.