Re: Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Pierre-Yves wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:
I don't quite understand the obsession with making boot time faster anyway. Machines should only boot when they have a new kernel to install. If they aren't needed all the time they should sleep or hibernate, waking up with everything still running.

My problem here are your two last words *still running*...
Maybe especially on my laptop.

It has worked for me on a Mac Powerbook for 4 or 5 years and windows XP for the last 2 at least. Close the lid in one place, it sleeps. Open it somewhere else, it wakes up, adjusts to the new wired or wireless network connection and everything goes about its business. At least things like browsers and email clients that know enough to reconnect broken connections. I go months without booting anything. For the things that actually do have to keep running, I park them on UPS-protected linux boxes with freenx and reconnect as needed with the NX clients that are cross-platform (and actually do the bulk of my work there).

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx