Re: Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Christopher Stone wrote:
On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 20 May 2008 15:54:52 -0700
"Christopher Stone" <chris.stone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If it's that simple, you should be able to do it yourself.  The code is
there.  Have at it.

(HINT: It's not simple at all)

According to this thread it seems pretty simple actually:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=188645
Sure.  Creating them locally is simple.  Then all you'd have to do is
get it past review, get the primary Xorg maintainer to agree, and
support it for the entire release.  Which includes handling all the bug
reports for it.  Which you might get a lot of and won't be able
to do a damn thing about because of binary drivers.

I don't give a hoot if the packages are supported or not, I just want
an easy way to get my nVidia card working.  All you people do is gripe
and moan about how much work it would be and all this and that.  Look,
its just a matter of adding rpms to a repo, make an "unsupported" repo
if you have to.  The bottom line is you want to have as many people
testing the OS as possible.

Then please, make your own repo for those people who do not want supported, qa'd, bug-fixed packages. However, in Fedora all of these things fit into the definition of a maintained package. So by that measure I'd say ajax is doing a very, very good job making sure Fedora 9 will have a robust upstream community supporting it for the life of the release whereas sticking the old xorg version into the distro when its known that no one's going to spend time working on it would be plainly irresponsible.

If redhat wants to pay me $100k a year, I'll happily make xorg compat
rpms in about one day.  Thank you very much.
I believe that shows your fundamental lack of understanding about
Fedora and open source software on many levels.

I believe you have no idea what you are talking about.  If I
maintained a package which I knew was not going to work with 50% of
the users hardware, and I was being paid to maintain this package,
then I certainly would spend some time to allow those 50% a way to use
their hardware with the rest of the OS.  Nothing more to it than that,
it has nothing to do with open source, it has everything to do with
being professional.

Uhm... xorg-x11-drv-vesa? xorg-x11-drv-nv? xorg-x11-drv-nouveau? I think some time has been spent "to allow those 50% a way to use their hardware with the rest of the OS".

You're asking for the wrong thing here. You want X to support optional features of your hardware. The means you're proposing to accomplish this is by adding an unmaintained software package into the distro until a proprietary driver is fixed to support it. This doesn't strike me as a good way for Fedora to proceed and you're unlikely to get any traction for making a change there.

If you want to talk about adding a properly maintained package to the distro to support a proprietary driver you might have a little more agreement. If you wanted to talk about adding support for the optional features of your hardware to the distro you'd be applauded by all (though you'd probably be told that doing that work upstream where it can benefit all of the Xorg-using community is the proper venue.)

-Toshio