Re: Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

How about changing the names of the packages (and perhaps the location of the files) that you must include for dependencies? I'd much rather waste space with duplicates that don't conflict than have potentially conflicting same-named packages/files.

That's a ugly hack and won't on all cases.

Once you start relying on yum/rpm, there's nothing much uglier than conflicting packages.

Some paths are just standardized and changing them would break a lot of things including non-packaged applications.

If things are standardized to the point that they can't be changed, then I don't see how keeping those jpackage/fedora versions identical can be such a big problem.

You have to figure out specific issues and talk to the Fedora Java team.

I'd hope there could be a general solution.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx