Re: kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 12:35 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
I don't think that anyone has said that you can't make a special
spin with this kernel in it.
For what it is worth, I actually am saying that such a spin can't be
called Fedora, under the existing trademark guidelines, since I am
opposed to any "alternative kernel" packages in the Fedora repository.
Well, there is still something called kernel-xen.

Yes, but it isn't a separate package, it is built off the kernel SRPM.

Are you sure?

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/rpms/kernel-xen-2.6/

I am not saying that we should introduce more kernel packages. It is just that we don't really have any written policies about this and we should be consistent and preferably document this if we don't want to ever introduce alternative kernel packages.

What happens if Alexandre Oliva just submits his kernel variant up for package review? Currently there is nothing stopping him and nothing stopping any other package maintainer from approving it.

Rahul