Re: kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
Hi,

I've stripped non-Free firmware bits from Fedora kernels for F8 and
rawhide, starting from tools developed by the gNewSense folks and now
in use by BLAG developers, and built alternate kernels that I've
successfully booted up and used on my x86_64 notebook.

You'd be surprised at how little it takes to get to a Free Software
kernel.  It's just a few drivers that need firmware removed.

Thanks for stepping forward with this.

Wouldn't it be better to change the spec file so that the firmware you have removed is moved into a sub package and we can retain the same kernel? The default setup will install both these packages and If you want a spin without the firmware, you just need to exclude the sub package (along with any other packages you don't want). The advantage is that it doesn't have the overhead of maintaining a additional kernel package.

Rahul