Re: KISS in Guidelines/Micro-Optimizations

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
On 13.03.2008 07:25, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
"VS" == Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@xxxxxx> writes:
VS> And by the way, in my opinion the discussion should not be only
VS> about Unicode, but about restricting package names even to a
VS> subset of ASCII (let's say eg.  a-z, A-Z, 0-9, -, +, _, .).

FWIW, +1

This is why we need a concrete proposal to vote on.  Things would have
gone much better if we had one.
+1
One of the problems I have with "ban packages with unicode names" is that it doesn't consider what to do when a package name upstream is non-ASCii.

Well, I see your point, but on the other hand: do we need to have
details like those you outline in the guidelines?  There is enough in
there already and they are hard to read and understand.

Further: And does the FPC really need and want to solve details like
this? Trying to sort those out is of course a respectable goal, but it's
not yet a big problem afaics.

Actually, my issue is I do not want us trying to solve the details. I think package name is a piece of information that has to be decided at something broader than the distro level. So if upstream is going to use a non-ASCii package name and we're going to ban it on that basis and that's it period, then I am not a -1 (I might vote 0 if my vote made no difference otherwise.)

So maybe it really just as simple as saying "ban packages with unicode
names". or, to be more precise, make it something like: "Package names
are limited to 'a-z, A-Z, 0-9, -, +, _, .' If you have a package with a
different problem come to fedora-packaging-list and discuss with us;
once we solved it in a few packages we can write a page like 'Hints how
to adjust package names if they contain non-ASCII characters'".

I am against anything that leaves the packager with the impression that they should change the package name on their own in this case. This needs to be done at least cross-distro, more hopefully upstream. I'll reply to one of Ralf's messages with an example.

-Toshio