Re: Fedora and Cross Compiling

David Woodhouse wrote:
On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 07:59 -0500, David Smith wrote:
Note that we leave things so that native compiles still work. We then check native dependencies (_arch == _build_arch) against our mock chroot's native rpm database, then check cross dependencies (_arch != _build_arch) against the mock chroot's target rpm database.

Target versions of autoconf and sed aren't needed since nothing links against anything in those packages (those packages are only run natively). The only problem with this scheme is that we end up with an extra native dependency of libblah-devel (which really isn't needed since nothing links against it in the cross compile). But the benefit of unaffected native compiles outweighed the extra dependency.

I might go so far as to suggest that the benefit of avoiding that
%if "%{_arch" == "%{_build_arch}" stuff in the specfile might outweigh
the extra dependencies on autoconf and sed, too.

One way of handling dependencies in mock for cross-builds might be to
install the full set of dependencies for _both_ host and target
architectures.

I certainly see your point, but when bootstrapping an arch you sometimes get in these cases where X requires Y which requires Z which requires X, so you have to start chopping requires down to the minimal.

Plus, if a native require is for something quite complicated like perl or python, you typically want to postpone that pain for as long as possible...

--
David Smith
dsmith@xxxxxxxxxx