Re: Fedora and Cross Compiling

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
Not quite. You end up with the target's sys-root's files ("target
binaries", blobs of arbitrary binary data) inside of a "noarch" rpm.

Er, if you're building an arm-linux toolchain and store the sysroot in a noarch rpm, that's still wrong arch :-) Not *as* wrong as having it in an RPM for the build host's arch, but not as right as having it for the target arch.

Well, IMO this plan is not useful and doesn't fit into the working
principles of rpm, because it confuses host architecture with target
architecture.

Eh?

What I could envision to be made functional is a wrapper around rpm,
using another "per-cross-target" rpmdb to add native target rpms into
sys-roots.

If I understand you correctly, that sounds about right. When cross building you need to pull in a mixture of native (host-arch) and cross (target arch) packages to meet the build dependencies. This is part of where the "fun" is.

--
Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc@xxxxxxxxxx