Re: Schedule for Tuesday's FESCo Meeting (2024-07-23)

On Wed, Jul 31, 2024 at 05:21:29PM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> Dne 31. 07. 24 v 15:12 Stephen Gallagher napsal(a):

> > > Actually, I think that this could help:
> > >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_in_Switzerland#Referendums
> > >
> > > E.g. if we figured there are lets say 20 Fedora contributors who are
> > > unhappy with the FESCo voting, all contributors could vote in
> > > "referendum" to (dis)approve.
> > That would be exactly what I described above as "grievance-based voting".
> >

> You talk about "tyranny of the (loud) minority", but I think the limits are
> the key. If there needed to be e.g. 20 contributors to raise the concern
> with the voting, that is hardly minority (considering there was ~200 voters
> in FESCo elections). But then there is the voting itself, where there would
> e.g. 200 contributors (and there could also be required minimal quorum)
> could express their opinion if the FESCo decision was correct/incorrect.
>
> IOW I don't think it would be that easy to find those 20 contributors to
> even start the voting.

The relevant metric isn't how many people voted, but how many people
are eligible to vote - which is a much much larger number than 200.
Finding 20 out of the eligible voter pool is a pretty low bar.

Having global referendums on difficult issues isn't any guarantee
that people are going to come out of the process any more happy
than with the current system. Campaigning for & against referendum
topics can easily lead to further entrenched division / hostility
between people on each side.

With regards,
Daniel