Re: Schedule for Tuesday's FESCo Meeting (2024-07-23)

On 7/23/24 21:27, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
But IMHO, Fedora used to already be almost perfect, to the point where changing anything could only possibly make it worse.

I just can't agree with this statement---both in some deep philosophical sense and in practical terms. F is for First! Yes, the changes are sometimes annoying---I miss my FreeCAD :(---but, overall, I think Fedora has a track record of consistently advancing technology.

Of course it's crucial to remember that 'change is inevitable, but progress is not'. Projects like Fedora could potentially descend into a vicious cycle of poor technical decisions leading to disengagement and negative selection of participants, resulting in more bad decisions. However, I'm optimistic that Fedora will avoid this fate if we stay focused and positive, identify the best actions and mitigate potential drawbacks.

As others have said, FESCO is a representative body. We have to trust their technical competence, and more importantly trust the process. FESCO made some hard decisions in the past turning down and even reverting changes (modularity, etc) when they were called for, so it's unfair to bring up rubberstamping.