Re: Schedule for Tuesday's FESCo Meeting (2024-07-23)

On Wed, Jul 24, 2024 at 03:27:01AM +0200, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:

> The big issue with the process is that there is this ground assumption in
> Fedora that change is inherently good, and hence any Change should be
> approved by default. But IMHO, Fedora used to already be almost perfect, to
> the point where changing anything could only possibly make it worse.

You are entitled to hold that view, but I would suggest that it is a
viewpoint that is contrary to one of the 4 parts of Fedora's mission

  "We are committed to innovation.
  We recognize that there is also a place for long-term stability
  in the Linux ecosystem, and that there are a variety of community-
  oriented and business-oriented Linux distributions available to
  serve that need. However, the Fedora Project’s goal of advancing
  free software dictates that the Fedora Project itself pursue a
  strategy that preserves the forward momentum of our technical,
  collateral, and community-building progress. Fedora always aims
  to provide the future, first.

  https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/#_what_is_fedora_all_about

With that as part of our mission, it is correct that there is an
assumption that change is inherantly good.

While FESCO votes do act as a permissions mechanism approving and
denying changes, IMHO, the approval result is not really the main
purpose of FESCO validation.

Rather I'd characterise FESCO as a peer review mechanism, to steer
the design of changes to maximise their benefit, resolve problems,
and ensure alignment with other project priorties.

Sometimes a change may not be possible to steer into an acceptable
form and it will get denied, but I'd view that as the uncommon case,
and a presumption of acceptance is the goal.

Overall, if you want a distro that reaches a so called "perfect"
state, and then stands still thereafter, then Fedora is not the
distro to satisfy that. Fedora's mission is continual innovation
through ongoing change.

With regards,
Daniel