Re: Schedule for Tuesday's FESCo Meeting (2024-07-23)

On Wed, Jul 24, 2024 at 09:41:16AM -0400, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> That said, I also find this unanimous approval problematic for a
> couple of reasons:
>
> 1. There are some subset of people who use Fedora because they thought
> it was a privacy focused distribution. Their concerns did not seem to
> be taken into account or it needs to be made clearer that is not what
> the project aims as a high priority compared to other items. Those
> people can then make a choice if the distribution is still what they
> want to use.

> To me any of those needed to be detailed further. Where does personal
> privacy actually fit in the 4 F's. What happens to users if the Fedora
> infrastructure breaks or isn't possible to get to due to some Internet
> problem. What is to be done if this turns out to be not needed or
> useful after a release or two?

Where a piece of software/service lies on the spectrum of respect
(or not) for user privacy is one of the defining issues of the modern
age.

With that in mind, I agree Fedora must define a clear policy for
how it approaches user privacy issues, to position our distro (and
changes proposed) on the user privacy spectrum

Without such a policy, I don't think FESCO is enabled to objectively
evaluate privacy concerns, as they would effectively be in a position
of making up the policy themselves on the fly. The analytics reporting
change proposal really highlights our policy gap in this area.

With regards,
Daniel