Re: Schedule for Tuesday's FESCo Meeting (2024-07-23)

On Wed, Jul 24, 2024 at 6:18 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For what it's worth, I don't believe that this process will work well.
> I'm all for democracy, but direct democracy without compulsory voting
> inevitably leads to "grievance-based voting", where the majority of
> folks ignore the discussion and a plurality of voters with a strong
> opinion effectively stuff the ballot box. The effect is to have a
> tyranny of the (loud) minority. The closest we could get to
> "compulsory voting" would be to require a quorum of votes to be
> considered binding, but even the FESCo and Council elections
> traditionally see extremely low voter turnout. I don't think we'd be
> able to reach a sensible quorum on a referendum-based system.

This is, indeed, a common problem with even
large member based organizations, where certain
changes/votes may require a quorum, but most
people do not participate/vote.  The fix for some
such organizations is that you lose your privilege
to vote (reducing the number needed for a
quorum) if you don't regularly vote, and need to
reapply (sometimes with some delays to avoid
last minute grievance or vote stuffing based
participation).

In the end, what we have is a representative
democracy, and while it has problems, the public
does (eventually) get to correct any perceived
lack of perceived responsiveness to the wants
of the community if enough people agree change
is needed/necessary.  Sometimes the "winners"
of any election will not agree with your opinions.
One can either rail about the unfairness of it
all, accept that the majority opinions need to
be acknowledged will be followed, or work to
convince others that your opinion is better.