Re: Fedora rawhide (to be f41) and openssl engines

On Tue, 23 Jul 2024 at 11:02, Clemens Lang <cllang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On 23. Jul 2024, at 16:36, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 23, 2024 at 8:55 AM Clemens Lang <cllang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> However, we should still consider the effect this will have on developers that build software on Fedora — they will also have to specify -DOPENSSL_NO_ENGINE now or see failing builds, and we don’t really see that impact until 41 releases.
> >
> > Or, perhaps, if they build locally, just
> >   `dnf install openssl-devel-engine`
> > once and not have to worry about
> > changing their build recipes until
> > OpenSSL 4.0 (or later).
> >
> > That is certainly going to be a choice
> > some will make, and you should
> > always offer that as a possible
> > solution even if you wish it was not
> > used.
>
> Sure, people can do that, but they will just see an error saying that openssl/engine.h could not be found and start hunting for solutions. Let’s hope that until that happens, enough people have blogged about this (or Google has indexed this thread) to point them to potential solutions, because otherwise this will be a situation of “works on Ubuntu and everything else, but is just bad developer experience on Fedora”.
>
> We already saw a number of threads on the mailing list and a ticket reporting this precise situation.
>
> I guess from this thread it is pretty clear that there is no consensus on improving this for F41, so I’ll stop now.

In order for it to be improved, it really needed to be done before the
mass rebuild. After that happens there really isn't much time for
medium to major changes. There are too many other groups all trying to
get their parts fixed and a lot of the Red Hat employees focus more on
getting EL10 beta and EL9.5 items than Fedora. I realize that this
isn't 'ideal' in any form but it is basically what happens every
couple of years when a new EL comes out.

> --
> Clemens Lang
> RHEL Crypto Team
> Red Hat
>

> --

Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard
battle. -- Ian MacClaren