Re: Fedora & AI Survey Now Live Until July 16th

Aoife Moloney venit, vidit, dixit 2024-07-01 22:21:37:
>  I disagree a little on the results to be meaningless just because the tone
> or phrasing is positive, particularly with the topic of AI because it is
> far too easy to list all the negatives associated with AI, and doing that
> doesn't move the conversation forward. Structuring that question in this
> ranking way allows for a better conversation on how to use AI in whatever
> area comes out as the best or one of the better fitting spots for AI in
> Fedora based on how people ranked them. We want to focus on the potential
> benefits (or positives) that we could leverage from AI while understanding
> the preferences of our community with this initial survey.

The point is that "rank 3" for one person has no connection to "rank 3"
for another person, yet you will aggregate results based on statistics
which use the numerical value of the rank. This is really meaningless
from the point of test design.

I'm not sayting that ranking itself is a meaningless concept. There are
a lot of theories about ranking/ordering versus point scales etc. Even
the concept of having to rank among a fixed set of choices can make
sense if there is a good reason for that fixed set of outcomes, for
example in voting between candidates. There are voting systems which use
exactly that system and award "points" based on rank, in order to
determine the total outcome.

This really only makes sense when the set of outcomes is predetermined.
But your goal is to find out the "usefulness" of a set of questions. And
you will use "rank 3" to assign a "usefulness level", that is you will
use it as a "metric" on a scale. Yet you force everyone to assign a
"usefulness level" of 3 to all questions on average ( (1+2+3+4+5)/5 = 3 ).

Or, to put it differently: Think of everyone using their own
scale/ruler, as is very clear in the answers to this thread. You align
those scales by labeling them with a scale from 1 to 5 when indeed each
user labelled their rulers quite differently, say from -10 to -6, 1 to
5, 6 to 10 on some imaginative "usefulness scale".

The least you can do is a semi-absolute scale "from least useful to most
useful" (relying on a common understanding of the terms, as usual), or an
open choice of "useful options" between 0 and 5.

Michael