Re: Fedora & AI Survey Now Live Until July 16th

On Tue, 2 Jul 2024 at 09:45, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 2, 2024 at 4:19 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 01, 2024 at 08:07:46PM +0100, Aoife Moloney wrote:
> > DJ & Tom - thank you for that clarification on how to interpret your
> > ranking, and I can assure you and other folks who feel similar about
> > answering that question that that is indeed the way we will be analysing
> > the results - top ranked being best fit, 5th or last ranked being least or
> > worst fit. Also for anyone who has yet to complete the survey, the last
> > question is an optional, free format answer so I would suggest using that
> > to expand on reasons why you ranked certain areas #1, #2 etc for what
> > problems you see AI addressing in those parts of the project.
> >
> > I would also like to add that we deliberately took a positive tone for this
> > survey as it is far too easy to find (many) negatives for AI (and for good
> > reason!), and we wanted to try to look at the benefits we could get from AI
> > instead if applied properly and wit the best interest of Fedora driving the
> > use of AI in parts of the projects ecosystem.
> >
> > This survey is just trying to understand the preferences and wants of the
> > Fedora community when it comes to AI, and not a guarantee that the project
> > will be introducing AI in all of the mentioned areas.
>
> I can't see how this helps understand the Fedora contributor's preferences
> about the use of AI, when the survey is restricting the possible answers
> to "yes", "definitely yes", "very much yes". I would question the validity
> of any actions taken / priorities set in Fedora based on results of this
> survey.

Indeed. This creates a skewed dataset because the questions you've
asked essentially prevent a set of responses from being captured. The
two choices people have are: pick the least worst option or just don't
participate in the survey. Neither of which are good things.

Continuing with a small comment:

this looks like one of those Human Resources surveys where they only want to know if their performance is:
. good
. great
. outstanding

And as we know, it's actually none of those

Luís