Re: Fedora & AI Survey Now Live Until July 16th

I disagree a little on the results to be meaningless just because the tone or phrasing is positive, particularly with the topic of AI because it is far too easy to list all the negatives associated with AI, and doing that doesn't move the conversation forward. Structuring that question in this ranking way allows for a better conversation on how to use AI in whatever area comes out as the best or one of the better fitting spots for AI in Fedora based on how people ranked them. We want to focus on the potential benefits (or positives) that we could leverage from AI while understanding the preferences of our community with this initial survey.
But, having said that, I take your points :) That's good feedback to have for any other surveys we will send on how we structure questions and answering.

On Mon, Jul 1, 2024 at 8:45 PM Tom Hughes <tom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/07/2024 20:07, Aoife Moloney wrote:

> I would also like to add that we deliberately took a positive tone for
> this survey as it is far too easy to find (many) negatives for AI (and
> for good reason!), and we wanted to try to look at the benefits we could
> get from AI instead if applied properly and wit the best interest of
> Fedora driving the use of AI in parts of the projects ecosystem.

Well I guess if you're only interested in positive responses then
we can say the survey design is a success - just a shame that the
results will be meaningless.

I understand why surveys have to use closed form questions with a
fixed set of responses but it should always be possible to opt out
of questions and, ideally, to explicitly indicate that you do not
agree with any of the proposed responses, otherwise you are artificially
restricting the results to the set of concepts that were (either
deliberately or subconsciously) in the mind of the survey creator.

At the very least the question needs to be changed to not indicate
that two answers are required if five are!

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/