Re: Guidance on individual packages requiring x86_64-v2 baseline ?

Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Björn Persson <Bjorn@rombobjörn.se> said:
> > If this will affect containers, then I'm starting to worry that I might
> > be affected. I thought I'd be fine as the computers I run virtual
> > machines on are x86-64-v2 and -v3, but another computer that still
> > works fine is -v1. As popular as containers are, who knows when some
> > program I use will switch to being distributed only as a container, and
> > thus become unusable on the -v1 box?
>
> Are you using containers for a different architecture (e.g. running
> aarch64 containers on an x86_64 host)?  AFAIK that's when podman will
> use QEMU.  If not, you would not be affected.

No I'm not, and if some upstream would decide that their program must
run as a container, I'm sure they would at least allow an x86-64
container for the foreseeable future. If a need for emulation would
arise, I'd do that on a newer computer. It seems I personally will be
fine then.

Björn Persson