Re: convert everything to rpmautospec?

* Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek [08/04/2024 09:02] :

> Well, you and Kevin see "salami tactics" (whatever that may be),

FTR, I have no idea what "salami tactics" is.

> while I see normal engineering practice: some new idea is hatched,
> it's implemented and used narrowly, them it's applied by default
> and more widely, and possibly at the end previous methods are
> deprecated.

This sounds acceptable but is not at all how these changes are proposed.

An proposal is made, stating explicity that it will be opt-in or target
a subset of the target audience and never even suggesting that the scope
might one day be expanded.

It is accepted based on that premise and, after a while, changes are
made to make the change default or opt-out, leaving the people who would
not have accepted it had they known they would be forced to use it with
no recourse.

This is unfriendly (thus violating one of Fedora's core principles) at
best and deceitful at worst.

> The alternative would be to have "grand plans" where we decide that
> some technology will be used by default and mandatory before we deploy
> it widely and get feedback.

Another alternative would be not lie to the target audience by
initially claiming that the change is opt-in. Yet another alternative
would be to not go back on this claim.

> I think that if you think this through, you'll realize that the
> "salami tactic" is quite reasonable.

I don't but wish to thank you for the condescending tone nonetheless.

Emmanuel